Looking Back on 2010-2011
It’s hard to believe another exciting year has come and gone. It’s been a year of vast accomplishments from students and staff at Denton Creek. We continue to be proud of our exemplary campus which is one of the most exceptional schools in TEXAS!
Let me share with you a few highlights from our year:
· Denton Creek made the prestigious TBEC Honor Roll (Texas Business Education Coalition) for the second consecutive year. This award is given for sustained excellence over a three year period; less than 4% of Texas public schools are named for this honor.
· Denton Creek received many Gold Performance Acknowledgements from the state for high performance.
· Denton Creek was selected as a 2010 NCEA (National Center for Educational Achievement) Higher Performing School which puts us in a very elite category with the highest performing schools across the state. Higher performing schools outperform their peers that serve similar student populations and have more expected academic growth for three consecutive years.
· Our Denton Creek UIL team brought home the SECOND PLACE trophy in the January meet, barely missing first place by only ten points!
· We expanded our Dual Language program from Kindergarten to first grade this year. The program adds a great deal to our school, and we will add a second grade section of Dual Language next year.
· Our fifth graders attended Sky Ranch in October and enjoyed a wonderful outdoor education bonding experience that brought them even closer.
· Students in all grade levels participated in a variety of exciting field trips.
· Our annual Grandparents’ Tea held in September was one of the best ever!
· Our annual Turkey Drive and Jump Rope for Heart campaigns were very successful. Our students gave back to the community in many ways.
· We continued making huge strides in the area of TECHNOLOGY! Almost every classroom now has a Smartboard to enhance instruction, and our amazing PTO helped us purchase I-touches and I-pads to help us better educate our 21st Century learners.
· Chinese Mandarin after school classes were introduced for our students.
· Mrs. Martha Brown was named our Campus Teacher of the Year and represented our staff in an admirable way.
· Mr. McLain was named a Texas NDP (National Distinguished Principal) finalist and attended Harvard!
· We continued our vocabulary study with more SESQUIPEDALIANS than ever before, and our SAGACIOUS students excelled in every area.
· We aced our TAKS tests and continue to have among the highest scores in Coppell ISD!
· We implemented R-Time in our classrooms, a program that fosters improved communication and relationships.
· We implemented a new school-wide behavior system, called PBIS, (School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports) which focuses on making good choices. The students enjoyed earning different levels and getting their cards punched for great behavior!
· Our giving PTO supported us in numerous ways and held a successful Parent Auction in February.
· We enjoyed a successful Field Day in May where many a Trailblazer got busted with water balloons!
· We celebrated great RELATIONSHIPS with students, parents, and each other!
Denton Creek is a REMARKABLE school with incredible students, an outstanding staff, and extremely supportive and involved parents.
Thank you for a truly memorable year and for adding so much life to our school.
We are a family!
Have a wonderful summer!
All the best,